Linux Mint 21 is nearly prepared. In case you are all in favour of attempting the subsequent model of the favored Linux distribution early, chances are you’ll obtain official beta ISO photographs to take action. All three Linux Mint desktop environments may be downloaded and examined.
Linux Mint 21 is powered by Linux Kernel 5.15 and Ubuntu 22.04 LTs, which implies that the Linux distribution shall be supported till 2027 with safety patches.
As soon as the steady model of Linux Mint 21 launched, Linux Mint 20.3 techniques may be upgraded with the assistance of the brand new Linux Mint improve device. It removes the necessity to run instructions from a terminal window, and streamlines the improve course of for many customers due to that.
The beta launch supplies a great overview of the modifications within the new Linux Mint model.
Word: Linux Mint 21 Beta has been launched for testing. It’s not suggested to run beta working techniques in manufacturing environments. Most customers could wish to set up it utilizing digital machines.
Here’s a fast overview of necessary modifications in Linux Mint 21:
- Blueman device to handle Bluetooth settings. The earlier device, Blueberry, was a frontend for GNOME Bluetooth. The discharge of Gnome 42 brought about incompatibilities with Blueberry, and the Linux Mint workforce determined to modify to Blueman as a substitute.
- Assist for WebP photographs, which implies that you could be open them within the picture viewer and see them as thumbnails within the file supervisor Nemo.
- Timeshift system backup device is now developed by the Linux Mint workforce. One of many enhancements calculates the area requirement for the subsequent snapshot and skips its creation if its creation would scale back the disk area to lower than 1 Gigabytes.
- The Linux Mint workforce determined to not implement systemd-oomd, which Ubuntu makes use of to make sure that the system has sufficient RAM to function. It does so by killing operating functions on the system.
- OS-Prober stays enabled by default to be sure that the boot loader detects different working techniques, e.g., a Home windows set up.
Extra info is accessible on the official Linux Mint weblog.
It appears unlikely that further main modifications shall be made to Linux Mint 21 earlier than launch. The event workforce will focus its vitality on patching bugs and different points, together with main points that beta testers report back to the workforce.